Monday 16 December 2013

The Ups and the Downs of Fell Running!

Now that road racing is behind me (for ever?) I have to seriously concentrate on "The Trigger". I had a window on Saturday morning until 09:30 to get a run in before the usually chauffeuring duties started. Six AM alarm call was followed by getting out at 06:20 to head over to Cobden Cross for a few reps. I had intended on doing six but time was against me so had to settle for five. Counting contour lines on the OS map reckons it is about 200 metres over about 1.75 Km. It is a bit of a brute of a climb as it is not constant with the  gradient at its steepest between 1 and 1.5 Km.

 I have created a Strava Segment for this climb  that puts it at 1.7 Km and (184 metres) The actual climb is a couple of minutes longer than the distance (and climb) covered by the segment. My PB for this segment is 12:38 with Marple's own Mr Iron-Man JohnE  holding the record at 10:47. When doing reps on it it tends to take about 31 minutes (17 minutes up and 14 down). I don't try very hard on the downhill! It would be considerably slower on a dark winter's morning with the soft ground and leaf cover. All my best times would be during the summer.

Got  out again on Sunday Morning at 6:15 for a 16ish Km run. I say "ish" as Strava said 18Km but it went mad 2 or 3 times and put in a few non-existent detoures. Got to see  a shooting star and a specular sunrise from "5 Ways" looking south-east towards Mount Famine. This is the best the rubbish camera on my phone could manage.


1 comment:

  1. A bit annoying Strava using moving time instead of actual time when calculating avg. pace. Today Strava has me down at 6:10 pace where Garmin Connect has me at 6:31 which is correct. Don't think official clocks stop when one takes a break. :-(

    ReplyDelete