Tuesday 10 December 2013

Stockport 10 Road Race 2013

Another year another Stockport 10. This is the 3rd year(and last time) I have done it. Perfect conditions this year, could even argue it was a bit on the  warm side (in December!) They bumped the numbers up this year allowing 1200 to enter, with 960 bothering to actually turn up on the day. I was not expecting too much this year as I have been struggling with lower abdominal muscle strain for about three months now. I have not really been enjoying my running during this time as I have a constant low level pain. This on top of changing over to forefoot running with the Inov8 bare 180s, which I am convinced are slower than my thick soled New Balance shoes. In fact I was in two minds about using the minimalist shoes because of the route change that will involve a mile on a pretty rough track which is exactly not what the bare 180s are designed for with their thin flat soles.

Race day!
 And They're Off

I turned down the volume on the phone as it is a bit embarrassing when the Strava woman starts announcing the details for the last Km. My tactics consisted of running as fast as I could from the start and try keep it up. It is a bit of a messy first few Km to this race as there are a lot of zig/zags through the park and housing estates, it was a relief to get to the Marple Rd and then down the rough track to start that great climb up from the river at Chadkirk. Being a fell runner I felt duty bound to show off a bit on this climb so I really pushed it and overtook loads of people Nearing the top of this climb I spied a lady in a Pennine top in front of me, that was a target, I caught her eventually only to be overtaken by her (and a load of other people) on the (rough) descent through the section I was concerned about. She got out of sight after that. This race finishes with a challenging climb at about 8.5 miles. I spied Holly in front of me again so yet again I tried to reel her in again to eventually finish 20 seconds ahead of her. She was telling me afterwards that she knew I was coming up behind here as my shoes have a very distinctive sound. The bare 180s have a very hard sole so they make a very loud "slapping" sound when running. I was convinced I was doing something wrong and even booked in with a forefoot (Pose running) coach. Basically my style was not too bad, not getting the right "forward lean", it is those particular shoes that are very "slappy". This photo below is just before starting the New Zeland Rd. climb, which is very late in the race. No wonder she looks tired.
I look better that that woman beside me but I do look like I am leaning back which could not be more wrong
They have a clock mounted just at the entrance to the park with is about 1/2 Km from the end. It showed that I was in and around the same time as last year, which I was delighted to see. That gave me extra motivation to push to the end to come home in 1:13:21. The EXACT same time as the 2012 race. I was very happy with this as the new route had to have been a few seconds slower due to that mile on the rough track. In fact looking at my Strava splits my three slowest kilometres are the two long climbs and then that rough section (which was downhill).
Nearly finished my 3rd Stockport 10
The 2012 and 2013 races had the same winner (Mohammed Abu Rezeq) with 14 seconds difference (2013 faster) in his two times.  Andi Jones  was 3rd in 2012 and second in 2013 despite being 17 seconds slower. Even though I had the same time I finished about 60 places lower in position 276. Have to mention the amazing effort by Pennine's AndyH. He smashed his 65 minute target with a 1:01:38.

I say it is my last year doing this and it probably will. I would not have entered this year only my wife had a deferred entry from last year that I took. I really fancy have a go at the Long Tour Of Pendle, which is only a couple of weeks before Stockport and I could not do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment